The building of Maria Zankovetska Ukrainian National Academic Drama Theater (Count Skarbek’s Theater in the past) is an important architectural landmark of the European value. The theater of Vienna Classical style was built in 1836-1842 to the project of the architects L. Pikhl and J. Zalzman for the money of Count Skarbek. As to the number of spectators (1700 people) it could seat, the theater was one of the largest in Europe, after the famous La Scala in Milan (3000 people) and the theater in Dresden (2000 people), and the largest one as to its area – 7278 m².
The theater had become an outstanding example of the contemporary advanced building technologies. The rubble foundation was reinforced by 16000 oak and alder piles driven into a swampy soil. The ceilings of the auditorium were secured by large bayed wooden trusses preserved to nowadays.
The theater building located in the territory of State Historical and Architectural Preserve within the city’s area is now on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Through its lifetime the building had undergone three major reconstructions:
1900-1902 redevelopment to meet the requirements of the Philharmonic Society (architect Y.Balaban);
1940-1942 upgrading to meet new theater requirements (architect L.Krasowski);
1952–1954 changing stage surfacing structures.
Due to those changes the structure of architectural design had been changed, with no effect on the 3D layout of the building.
After the World War II and during the Soviet regime the building had been turning to the worse and gradually fell into decay,
Ukrainian Cabinet of Ministers issued an action plan # 1426 of 05.11.2008. on reconstruction and restoration of Maria Zankovetska Ukrainian National Academic Drama Theater in Lviv. The project was supposed to be funded by the sate. The design estimates tender was announced in August 2009.
The winner of the tender became the company ‘Ukrdesigngroup” Ltd. being engaged now in drawing the design estimates documentation.